Why choose recycled cardboard bedding?
Cardboard bedding is a good choice for animal bedding because it is absorbent, inexpensive, biodegradable, comfortable and safe.
What are the benefits of recycled cardboard bedding for animals over traditional bedding choices?
Cardboard bedding offers several benefits over traditional choices of bedding such as straw and wood shavings:
1. Absorbency: Cardboard is more absorbent than straw or wood shavings, making it better at controlling odors and keeping the animal’s living area clean and dry.
2. Cost: Cardboard is often less expensive than other types of bedding, making it a cost-effective option for pet owners and breeders.
3. Biodegradable: Cardboard is made from paper pulp, which is a renewable resource and biodegradable, reducing its impact on the environment compared to other types of bedding.
4. Softness: Cardboard provides a soft, cushioned surface for animals to rest on, making it more comfortable than bedding options such as straw or wood shavings.
5. Safety: Cardboard does not contain any harmful chemicals or dyes, making it a safe choice for animals, especially those with allergies or sensitive skin.
6. Convenience: Cardboard can be easily obtained and disposed of, making it a convenient choice for bedding.
How long does cardboard bedding take to compost?
The time it takes for cardboard bedding to compost depends on various factors, such as the type of composting process being used, the size of the cardboard pieces, and environmental conditions such as temperature and moisture.
In a compost bin or pile, it can take anywhere from several weeks to several months for the cardboard to break down completely into compost. The process can be accelerated by regularly turning the compost pile and maintaining the proper balance of moisture and air.
If the cardboard is shredded or chopped into smaller pieces, it will break down faster. In industrial composting facilities, where conditions are optimized for rapid decomposition, the cardboard bedding can be fully composted in as little as a few days.
In summary, while traditional bedding options like straw, wood shavings or others can be effective, cardboard bedding provides a good balance of absorbency, cost-effectiveness, environmental impact, comfort, safety, and convenience.
If you would like more information about S4Bed for your horse or small animals call us on 01342 659100